Monday, November 17, 2008

Monday

I am going to try to post quickly because the computers here at the guest house are struggling. The guest house is really nice though! I don't think any of us have had time for the free massage, but we are really enjoying the hospitality and view!
Yesterday was amazing! We started our day around 10am (before you think we are getting too cushy here, let me remind you that is 1am in Missouri) with a meeting at the original Starbucks, a place called Kaldi's. We had an orientation meeting with Rachel and learned more about the culture and what to expect while we are here.
Then we went to lunch. The food is delicious and the portions are HUGE! Todd and I asked for a large "highland" (bottle water) and were given something around a 1/2 gallon of water each. The Juvinall's met us at the restaurant, scarfed down some lunch and then we all headed to the green gates of the transition home.
Pulling up to those gates made my heart race. Inside were our precious children. Rachel told us that we would go alphabetically so we knew we would be 5th in line. That should give us enough time to get really anxious, right! :)
The first four families went pretty quickly and then it was our turn. We stood in the middle of the courtyard and watched as Rachel brought out the most beautiful baby boy, our little Titus. We held him and talked with him for what felt like a long time although I am sure it wasn't because there was still one family left to go.
All I could do was kiss his sweet head and hold him so tight. I had cried for all the other families, but managed not to cry until I said, "we have waited so long for you sweet baby!" and then I shed a few tears. He was finally in my arms.
We stayed at the Transition home for approximately 3 hours and the time went by so quickly. The other kids really took to Todd. I was holding Titus most of the time, but Todd was entertaining lots of the older kids by playing ball, cars and letting the little ones explore his arm hair. (that was a hoot to see!)
Somewhere in the middle of all of this we were able to call home. We talked with Drew for a minute, but Josh was busy. Then the phone cut us off and I haven't been able to call back since. I will try again before Josh goes to school this morning. We love you boys!
Then we were told to wrap it up. How do you wrap up this experience? We hugged Titus, told him we loved him and would be back for him the next day. It was easy to see how much the nannies love on these kiddos. I know he is in good hands.
Thank you Lord for the care you provided for my baby until I could get there!
When we got back it was around 6pm here and Todd was so exhausted. We decided to forgoe the "traditional Ethiopian" meal so Todd could rest. As of this point he has slept almost 13 hours. He wasn't able to sleep on the plane like I was and he is so tired. I am hoping the rest will do him good.
Today we will go shopping, have lunch and then go back to get our children and bring them back with us.
Oh, I almost forgot. We took pictures and handed out care packages. There are some beautiful children waiting for their forever families! I will send pictures as soon as I can when I get home. I was hoping to do it from here, but the connection is way too slow for pictures.
Keep praying! So far, no one has gotten the "Ethiopian Funk", the bug that a lot of families get while here. Most of the children have colds, but seem to be doing alright. Please pray that we all stay healthy and are able to nurse the children back to health quickly!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah! What a wonderful update! So good to hear from you guys! We hope and pray that today goes well as you get to take Titus home forever! Wow!
Seems like just yesterday that we were there doing the same thing with our little guy! :)
With many prayers,
Amy & Dietrich Lusse

Wolfes Home said...

Yea!!!! It was such joy to read your words and experience. God is good!! I am crying happy tears for you all. What a day that you will not ever forget. Can't wait to see pictures.
Love, The Wolfes

Unknown said...

I have been thinking of you so much. I forgot about the blog until this morning and was so excited at the thought of hopefully getting an update and here it is! OK so I guess going to Ethiopia really was better than staying for associate night. But the great news is I brought your turkey home! Just think: a new baby AND a free turkey! What could be better than that! :) We love you guys and will be praying. Don't forget to stick an extra baby in your bag for me. Love, the Pattersons

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you set up this blog so we could read how things are going there while you're gone. Sounds like everything is going so perfectly so far. I will keep praying that everyone stays healthy and that your trip home goes just as smoothly.
Love, Brian & Teresa